Friday, October 3, 2008

Firsts

MoMo is getting to the stage where he is doing a lot of 'firsts.' He had his first picnic, his first little coo noise, and i'm convinced he smiled at me for the first time. I haven't seen it again for a few days but I refuse to think that passing gas can bring him more satisfaction than I do! :) He had his first and only 1 month birthday - he's growing up so fast!

For all of you who are wondering "how he is sleeping" through the night...He will go about 4-5 hours between feedings in the night. For example, he ate at 12am and then again at 5am then at 9. So we got a nice good stretch of sleep. The biggest thing that has helped me deal with the sleeplessness is developing a mindset for nighttime parenting. I would imagine that some parents see night as a much needed break from parenting and constantly caring for a little one. So then waking up in the night to change diapers or wipe up spit up or feed the baby are seen as interruptions. Derrick and I have really tried to view the night not as a break for us but as a time where we are still attached and still parenting MoMo. That way the feedings etc. aren't interrupting my time. We've accepted that our life will never be the same and the night will never be like it was before he arrived. And recognizing that has been one of the healthiest things that we've done. **Also, during the middle of the night feedings I am able to catch up on my TIME magazine reading**

Below are just more pictures of him doing what he does best - BEING CUTE!












People always ask if we make his hair stand up like a mini mohawk. The answer is No. As you can see, MoMo does NOT like it when I try to brush his hair down. But is content again when it is allowed to be a punk head.



3 comments:

Pastor David said...

It's OPA! Well said my dear about seeing the nighttime as just an extension of parenting and not an instrusion on "my" time. You're right: there is no more just "my time" (although when it comes, it is really nice).
I remember walking around the house, moving from room to room, holding you while you cried from colic. Together we watched the sun dawn as you bounced along, content--as long as you were moving!
So, consider it all joy, because every moment is a memory, every experience an etching of love, every new day an adventure!
I love you!

Matthew said...

Yeah Mayne! My little brett is developing his legit face--real talk! He is so cute for real. I really like the 2 pics where he dosen't like hair combed- taking after his uncle for real! I have been doing real well lately and am gonna try to call you guys sometime this week, so if you get a weird number answer it! I totally love that MOMO is chilling watching Obama on NBC btw...

I love you guys

Bobby Lou Cash said...

Looks like you all are having fun. When they do start sleeping through the night though...it is amazing. Keep us updated on what is going on with you all.
Mary